View All
Voices through art

Transfer Celebration

May 8, 2024

BC’s 110 Commencement preview

May 8, 2024

View All
BC Swim Conference and State Championships
BC baseball ends their regular season

BC baseball ends their regular season

April 29, 2024

UFC 300

April 15, 2024

View All
Archives

February Career Education Teleconference

California community colleges held a student media teleconference on Zoom Feb. 14 with state Chancellor Sonya Christian’s introductory remarks.

Christian spoke about acknowledging the Indigenous lands and people of California. The event also included discussions on a variety of topics that included Black History Month, Career Education Month and enrollment to late start classes in this upcoming month.

According to the CCC’s Land Acknowledgment: “California Community Colleges honors and acknowledges that our 116 campuses throughout the state of California are located in the unceded territories of the 109 federally recognized tribes and the dozens of tribes throughout the state who are seeking recognition.”

Christian stated that she encouraged ethnic minority groups for their education to find classes to earn a college degree in community colleges, including for those that want to transfer. She stated that late start classes are still available for those that want to take a class before this spring semester is over.

For Black history month there are provided activities at colleges and districts for African American students making career plans at local colleges.

During the Q&A portion of the teleconference, Christian was asked if there were programs for students from foreign countries available at the community colleges. She said, “depending on where community colleges are located. We have larger numbers of international students that are part of the college community than other colleges. We are seeing an uptick in international enrollments, you know, during the Covid time there was a significant decline in our international students. And now we see a growth back on that front there also. There’s also been a strengthening of transfer partnerships of international students who come to community colleges and then transfer onto a 4 year university.”