Admissions scam rile up college students

Katalina Quintanilla, Editor-in-Chief

As a college student, I’m pissed!

I understand that money is a powerful tool in today’s world, but bribing your child’s way into prestigious colleges is not fair for those who work their asses off.

College is extremely competitive and expensive for a “regular” student so for these celebrities to easily pay off lawyers to get their kids an education is not lawful.

“Full House” actress Lori Loughlin and fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, face up to 40 years in prison for mail fraud and money laundering conspiracy. They, however, believe what they did was not illegal. 

During Loughlin and Giannulli’s court appearance they both said that they had no idea they were doing such a crime. Sorry, but the court system does not care that there was miscommunication in their marriage. 

They falsified pictures claiming that their daughter was part of a crew team and they wanted her to be part of the crew team at USC. The married couple paid a middle man up to $500,000 to secure their daughter, Olivia Jade, a spot at the university. 

A source told PEOPLE Magazine that Loughlin and Giannulli thought what they were doing was not illegal and that it was normal for parents to do the extreme to give their kids an education. 

Umm okay?

The most extreme thing my parents did for me to get into college was missing a day of work to take me to my new student orientation. 

I’m sure it is not “normal” for parents to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to get them in college. 

The fact that these celebrities are using the famous card in hopes to reduce their punishment is really funny to me because they used their fame to get them in college in the first place. 

Karma really does exist!

As a social media star, Oliva Jade has publicly said herself that college is not for her and is only doing the “college experience” for her parents. And apparently, she had no idea that her parents were doing that too. 

So, she basically is throwing herself and her parents under the bus. Meaning that Jade didn’t do her own college application, she probably didn’t do her SATs, and she allowed her parents to do anything to get her admitted. 

Many students are struggling to get into a state college let alone a private college. There are more deserving students that could have gotten their spots.