Former BC tennis standout leads tennis team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Terry Collom

Terry Collom

Terry Collom

Nicholas Jacobs, former BC tennis player, is ready for the next challenge as the new Renegade tennis head coach

Mohamed Bafakih, Reporter

Tennis – as we all know it – is a back-and-forth game. Back, and now at the forefront of the Renegades’ men’s and women’s tennis teams, former Bakersfield College standout tennis player Nicholas Jacobs has returned and is ready to take on his new head coaching role.

A Garces Memorial High School alumnus, Jacobs first started playing tennis as a freshman for the Rams back in 2005, and the seriousness and competitiveness eventually grew on him throughout high school.

The love for the game also increased for Jacobs – who began working on the side as well at the age of 16 at the Bakersfield Racquet Club.

By the end of his senior tennis season, Jacobs ended his tenure with four All-Area recognitions and two Southeast Yosemite League Individual Championships. Along with his individual awards, Jacobs also chipped in to help lead Garces to back-to-back CIF Central Section Team Titles in 2007 and 2008.

Following his four years at Garces, Jacobs attended BC from 2009-2011 – competing with some of the valley’s best, and excelling, which led to ranking at the regional and national level.

Jacobs didn’t stop there either. Shortly after, he transferred to California Lutheran University to obtain his bachelor’s degree in business administration while still playing tennis for the Kingsmen and coaching at the Conejo Recreation and Park District periodically.

With stops back at Garces to coach the junior varsity tennis team, Nick Jacobs continued to be a part of the game outside of competing and making an impact as well. Now, here at BC to turn things around, Jacobs’ expectations going into the season are rather achievable.

“The girls just need some boost since we only have one returning player and there was no women’s team last season. As for men – there is some raw talent, but we just need to mold them and increase their focus,” said Jacobs.

Replacing former tennis head coach Rob Garbel will more than likely not be an issue for Jacobs either. “[Garbel] was hired a bit late. Now that I’ve been preparing since the first week of August with coach Limpias, who I have known for 19 years. I feel like we’re all on the same page and sitting good,” Jacobs added.

Limpias also mentioned how excited she is to have a women’s team this season and the depth on the men’s side.

With the exception of assistant tennis coach Estefania Limpias and returning players David Perez and Sahar Forouzanfar, the remainder of BC’s tennis teams is all new faces. The fact, however, that coach and company will be accompanied with two freshman on the men’s side who were All-Area tennis players in high school – Andrew Schwartz, a graduate of Stockdale and Alec Slykerman, a graduate of Garces – sure helps.

A fresh start and a little bit of experience from the head coaching staff and returning sophomores, nevertheless, will be the difference maker for the Renegades’ tennis teams, which open their season on Jan. 27 at Reedley College.

About the Writer
Mohamed Bafakih, Contributing Editor

Mohamed is a contributing editor on The Rip this semester. A broadcast journalism major, his past duties have included: sports reporter, sports editor,...