Three Renegade football players sign letters of intent

Carl E. Littleberry, Reporter

Bakersfield College held its signing day on Feb. 3, as three BC players signed their letters of intent to their respective college choices.  All three played football locally here in Bakersfield, which allowed for families and friends to be in attendance.

The first to sign his letter of intent was BC sophomore Jordan Nichols. Nichols was a strong-side linebacker for the Renegades and plans to continue at his new home, Dixie State.

“I wish we could have done a little better this year. I will regret that, however I did get a scholarship so in the end it wasn’t too bad of a season,” he said.

After playing football for Frontier High School, Nichols chose to stay close to home by attending BC and started two years for the football team earning team MVP both years.

However, Nichols gives all of the credit to the BC football staff and athletic department.

“I would never be where I am today, or going to where I am without BC,” he said. “Thank you so much to everyone who helped me along the way.”

Nichols finished his sophomore season with 71 total tackles, which led the BC team and one interception that tied for second on the team.

The second signee for BC was standout safety Dominic Frasch, who played high school football at Garces. Frasch spent two years on the BC football team, ending last season as a first-team all league selection at safety.

Frasch will be continuing his college football career at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. After signing his letter of intent, Frasch went on to thank his family for their years of support, and proclaimed his plans to start for the Mustangs much-maligned defense. Often being called the leader of the team by his teammates, Frasch wasn’t very vocal and led by example.

Stig Jantz, the BC athletic adviser, called Frasch the “spirtual leader” of the team, saying, “Dom led by example with lots of energy and hustle. He wasn’t very vocal but his teammates followed him because he led like a real Renegade was supposed to.”

The last of BC signees might be the most notable. Sophomore lineman Jared Dorton signed with Eastern Carolina University in Greenville, N.C. His new coaching staff has already told Dorton that they plan to start him from day one, and after anchoring the Renegade line for the past two seasons.

Dorton feels that the lessons he learned here at BC have prepared him to play in the American Athletic Conference.

Stating an understanding of the hurdles that come with the jump from junior college into Division I football, Dorton believes, “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be I think. It’s like night and day competition wise, but I feel like coach Chudy and the BC staff has prepared me for these next phases of my life. Thank you, guys.”

Dorton later went on to thank everyone in attendance including his teammates, friends, family and his future wife and in-laws.

“Thank you for all the support up until now,” he said. “I know it’s a huge jump, but I won’t let you guys down.”

Also in attendance was BC head football coach Jeff Chudy, who congratulated his athletes on their accomplishments. Chudy used a few minutes to talk about how proud he was of all three men and wished them nothing but the best.