Bakersfield College’s soccer team suffers first loss of season against Fresno Rams

Cameron Johnson, Reporter

The Renegade Women’s soccer team faced the defending CCCAA State Champions, Fresno City College, at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 18. 

Having gone 5-0 to start the season, the Renegades were up for the test against a Fresno City team that didn’t lose a game in the previous season. 

“We believe we’re at the same level as this team,” said head coach Scott Dameron of his team. 

Coach Scott Dameron explains defensive strategy to Breanna Lowes during halftime.

The first half was highly contested, with back-and-forth play from both sides, and defense proved to be critical for the ladies. Sophomore midfielder Jackie Zavala was active in controlling possessions and challenging balls that were up for grabs. 

Sophomore defender Drew Hallum was able to snuff out any scoring opportunities for Fresno. 

Fresno picked up their offensive intensity in the second half scoring quickly in the 50th minute to take a 1-0 lead. 

The Rams’ offensive production did not slow down, scoring two more goals in the 61st and 80th minutes. Fresno won the game 3-0. 

“We competed well against a good team tonight, but good teams will do things like that to you,” said Dameron on the three goals scored against the team in the second half. 

Dameron is pleased with the team’s 5-1 start to the season but knows that there is much work to be done throughout the season. 

“Honestly, we are focused on Friday. One game at a time.”

The Renegades look to keep up their hot start on Sept. 21 at home against Clovis Community College.