Volleyball completes playoff sweep of Mt. San Jacinto

Cameron Johnson, Reporter

The second-highest ranked Bakersfield College Women’s Volleyball team opened the 2018 California Community College Athletic Association SoCal Regional Championships on Nov. 20 at home against 16 ranked Mt. San Jacinto. The Renegades finished the regular season with a record of 23-1 and an impressive 18 sweeps. The number two ranking secured that the Renegades play at home for a majority of the playoffs, which comes as an advantage given their home record is 12-0.

Mt. San Jacinto won their play-in game against Santa Monica College by a score of 3-1 and came into the match against the Renegades with a record of 22-4.

The first match was a back and forth one, ending when the Renegades’ offense pulled away. They won the first game 25-18.

The second game saw the Eagles make an offensive push for the first few points, but again the Renegade’s outlasted their efforts and took the game 25-19.

Game three was all Renegades, controlling the tempo offensively and showing tremendous effort on the defensive end. The Renegades won the game 25-20 and took the match 3-0. The win over Mt. San Jacinto marked their nineteenth 3-0 sweep of the season.

Freshman Lanie Camarillo lead the way with 12 kills and freshman Penelope Zepeda was close behind with 10 of her own. Jessica Merante had 19 digs on the defensive side for the Renegades.

Zepeda added that the atmosphere added confidence to the team.

“It was exciting to have a great atmosphere tonight, we knew we were representing Bakersfield and that was really motivating,” Zepeda said.

At the time the Renegades next opponent was unknown, but the game plan for the team will stay the same.

“Regardless of who we play we’re going to play our game and play to our standards,” Zepeda added.

The Renegades will play San Diego Mesa College at home on Sat. Nov. 24 at 6 p.m.