Women’s volleyball suffers only one loss

Cameron Johnson, Reporter

The 2018 Renegades Women’s Volleyball team continues to have a storybook season, as they finished the season ranked number 2 in the state of California. 

With a record of 23-1, they racked up 18 sweeps on the season and properly asserted themselves amongst the best teams in the state. 

The only loss of the season came against Long Beach in a very close game that ended 3-2, but the Renegades turned up the intensity and haven’t looked back since.

The road to the top of the state rankings has not been easy as well, winning against state-ranked teams such as Golden West, Moorpark, El Camino, and Cypress colleges to name a few. 

Head coach Carl Ferreira enjoys the challenge of not only playing quality teams but preparing his players to be as well equipped for every game as possible. 

“We focus heavily on the preparation and stress a gameday mentality,” Ferreira said. 

“It boils down to being great 24 times throughout the season and we’ve executed that approach.” 

Ferreira also mentioned that teams cannot be instantly great – it takes different forms of training.

“Athletes and teams can’t just default to greatness or a championship level,” Ferreira said.

“We’ve made it a point to train our team to be mentally ready for anything that could happen throughout a game.”

Cameron Johnson
Coach Carl Ferreira looks on as his team celebrates their win over Mt. San Jacinto during the first round of the California Community College Athletic Association SoCal Regional playoffs.

Previous years’ teams have proved to be successful, but this 2018 team is motivated to set themselves apart from the others.

“We’ve always had talented athletes and this years’ team is no different. I think what sets this group apart is their chemistry and ability to know what each other is thinking,” Ferreira said.

Although Ferreira’s title is head volleyball coach, he is taking on the challenge of redefining what that means. 

“There exists a gap between normal athletes and teams and the exceptional ones. For so long coaches only taught the content of a sport. Then they took their teams into the weight room to get better. Now we have to invest in the mental preparation to make us truly a great team,” Ferreira explained.

Being ranked number 2 in the state doesn’t come without recognition and the Renegades have plenty of awards to show for it. 

Sophomore Sarah Armendariz was named first-team AVCA All American while freshmen Lanie Camarillo and Penelope Zepeda were named to the Western State Conference South first team. 

Coach Ferreira is proud of his players but gives credit to the whole team for the accomplishments of those recognized. 

“To be receiving these awards our whole team has to be playing well, so even though the awards are outstanding it took a whole team effort. The girls have worked very hard and I’m glad they’re getting the recognition they deserve,” Ferreira said. 

The most important part of the season is now to come, and Ferreira said the team has been locked in during practice leading up to the postseason. 

“We’ve really focused on being in sync collectively as a group, and we should be able to align mentally on the court,” Ferreira said. 

The Renegades won their first home playoff game against Mt. San Jacinto on Nov. 20 by scores of 25-18, 25-19, 25-20. 

They will face San Diego Mesa College at home on Nov. 24.