Renegades sweep tournament start season 3-0

Justin White, Reporter

The Renegades volleyball team defeated Mt. San Antonio College and College of the Sequoias Saturday afternoon to start the season 3-0.

Against Mt. SAC, BC fell into a hole early, facing a 2-1 deficit after three sets, including a 28-26 loss on the third, but the Renegades rebounded to take the next two sets to win the match 3-2. Freshman Outside Hitter Kami Marion led her squad in kills in the game with 17.

Later in the day the Renegades faced off against Sequoias, who took an early 1-0 lead after coming back from a 23-15 deficit in the first set. The Gades showed their tenacity by taking the next two sets, but were unable to hold off Sequoias’ late rally in the 4th set, losing 31-29. The Renegades pulled ahead in a close fifth set, and this time were able to hold off Sequoias’ comeback, taking the set and the match along with it. Sophomore Middle Blocker Aly Dees led the team in kills this game with 19.

After the game, when asked about how the team responded to the adversity of playing back-to-back competitive matches, Head Coach Carl Ferreira was overjoyed at his team’s performances, saying “I thought we played with tremendous composure in the biggest moments of the match. Winning two five set matches with composure in adversity in your opening weekend is something huge to build on.” He also mentioned the importance of the sisterhood mentality on the team, saying “just because you have a different role like starter or sophomore, it doesn’t mean you are better [than anyone else] and that is very important for our team chemistry.”

The gutsy performances in both games on Saturday has the Renegades volleyball team off to a hot 3-0 start. Next Saturday will see the Gades heading to Santa Barbara to face off against San Diego Mesa and Cerro Coso, as they look to improve to 4-0 and 5-0 on the young season.