Playlists to survive semester

The Stress Free Tips: For mental hygiene and wellness

Daulton James Jones

Daulton James Jones

Daulton James Jones, Reporter

I’m going to take it back to the first column of this semester, where I gave a short list of tips that may help destress. On that list I brought up music, and how a playlist could actually help out with emotions you’ve been carrying around all day Music is probably one of the few things that is truly birthed out of emotions. It’s a form of art that we take in aurally a majority of the time. That is why it affects us so heavily, and why songs affect us each differently.

Lately I’ve started creating mood playlists to kind of help me along my days with whatever mood I am feeling at that moment or I would like to invoke. I’m someone who is all about a vibe. If I go somewhere and the vibe isn’t right, I’ll leave, and music has a lot to do with that. You’re not going to be happy if you’re playing low, depressing music. This is scientifically proven because certain music can release dopamine in the brain to give you happy, motivated, and relaxed moods. I’ve been doing this whole mood playlist thing for about a year and it always works. During the past couple of weeks my friends gave it a try with good results.

School’s winding down, which means stress levels are rising, and we’re being asked to perform at higher levels. So here are some mood playlists for you to try out. Everyone has a period where they feel down and out, so these are some tracks on my RISE playlist: “Just Fine” by Mary J. Blige, “Electric Love” by BORNS, “iSpy” by KYLE ft. Lil Yatchy, “Slide” by Calvin Harris, “Everybody” by The Backstreet Boys, “September” by Earth, Wind, & Fire, “Kiss” by Prince, “Omen” by Disclosure ft. Sam Smith, “Corona and Lime” by Shwayze, and “Dance All Night” by The Dirty Heads.

Working out is not my strong suit. Don’t get me wrong, once I get up and do it I love it. The thought just isn’t appealing. So music helps me get up and it. The following songs usually motivate me: “Flawless Remix” by Beyonce ft. Nicki Minaj, “Papaoutai” by Stromae, “Fight Night” by Migos, “Ssenunni” by Jessi, “Dead Body” by Little Simz, “Rollin” by Limp Bizkit, “Blood in The Cut” by K.flay, “HUMBLE” by Kendrick Lamar, “Belly Danza” by Don Omar ft. Beenie Man, “Crew” by GoldLink ft. Brent Faiyaz & Shy Gilzy, and “Shining” by DJ Khaled ft. Jay-Z and Beyonce.

With the expectations of performing at a high level, the only thing I feel myself being lately is tired, and after studying for way to long, all I want to do is relax!

School for me has literally been all stress this whole semester. Thankfully music does help me to decompress. These might help: “Warm Winds” by SZA, “Zombies” by Childish Gambino, “F.U.B.U” by Solange, “Nights” by Frank Ocean, “Free Lunch” Isaiah Rashad, “Blem” by Drake, “Bury Me” by The Skins, “Lazaretto” by Jack White, “Got it Good” by KAYTRANADA, and “F**k with Myself” by Banks.

I hope that you all try these playlists out, and more than anything I hope they work. Feel free to switch them up, and customize them to your own taste.