Measure J vital for BC but unknown to its students

Morgan Park, Reporter

Voting day is fast approaching on Nov. 8 as the Measure J committee pushes its resources toward informing students of what the bond measure will mean for Bakersfield College in the future.

Communication has been sparse in the months leading up to October, but recent weeks have seen table setups on campus and a rally in town to help make their case to voters. These events, though, seem to have had little effect on the average BC student.

Speaking to 40 students, only one in four had even heard of the bond, and even fewer knew the details of what it entails.

The only student who knew about Measure J in detail was Jeneyda Onofre, 17, who thinks the measure is worth seeing passed on Nov. 8.

“I think it’d be a great opportunity to see how [the KCCD] handles the money,” she said.

She believes in the projects that the measure purports, but is cautiously optimistic about how many will really get done.

The largest sentiment seen were those who had never heard of Measure J at all, though there were some who had some cursory knowledge of the bond.

“My professor told us to be sure to register to vote by Oct. 24 and mentioned something about a bond for the school, but she didn’t really say what it was,” said Miguel Munoz, 18.

Eight other students had similar stories to Munoz, as they’d either been pulled aside by the Measure J committee and given a pitch, or they recognized the name from signs posted around Bakersfield.

The number of students who had no idea about the measure was staggering compared to the former (30 out of 40 students surveyed), especially given the degree of importance the BC administration is placing on Measure J’s success.