STDs? No Problem.

Bryana Lozoya, Reporter

For people to effectively take care of their sexual health, they need the resources and support.

It’s not always simple for some because of financial reasons and lack of knowledge and trusted sources.

I’ve spent some time curating resources that I found useful, but like always any questions about sexual wellness should be taken to a professional to ensure receiving the best information.

For those looking for services in Bakersfield that’ll help maintain a healthy sex life, people can look to reputable educational YouTube channels, clinics, the public health department, and podcasts dedicated to sexual health and sexuality.

Bakersfield College students can go to the school’s health center for STD testing, pregnancy testing, and birth control.

The Bakersfield College health center does not perform blood tests for STDs on campus but refers students to have it done at the Physicians Automated Laboratory (PAL).

To receive results, the student must make an appointment at the health center where a nurse practitioner will go over the results with them.

If tested positive for any STD, the next steps and treatment plans are discussed between the student and the nurse practitioner confidentially.

As for testing for pregnancy, the health center performs a urine test and results are gone over confidentially.

The only type of birth control that the health center offers is the pill and can only be prescribed by the practitioner.

The Kern County Public Health Department (KCPHD) is another resource that can be used.

Appointments are made over the phone and their clinic provides STD testing and treatment, providing their patients with male or female condoms when asked for, and prescribing birth control, and more.

The range of birth control types that the KCPHD offers are intrauterine devices (IUD), the pill, Depo-Provera, among others.

The clinic accepts several kinds of insurances and Medical, but those who are uninsured or are income eligible can sign up for Family Pact.

Requirements for Family Pact besides income eligibility is being a resident of California and someone of childbearing age.

“If for some reason a patient does have insurance, but they want to keep their services or type of visit confidential from a spouse or parent, they can apply for the program,” Yanett Anguiano said, a clinic manager for the clinic at the KCPHD.

The Director of Disease Control at KCPH Denise Smith recommend people to read about the Know Your Risk Campaign.

The campaign was put together in 2016 by the KCPHD to bring awareness to Kern County’s high STD rates.

On the KCPHD’s website under their STD tab, the Know Your Risk Campaign has links of information for parents and various information to help those finding services and education about preventative measures against STDs.

YouTube channels such as Sexplanations and Watts the Safe Word provide insight and education about sex, sexuality, and diseases.

Lindsey Doe is the host of Sexplanations, a channel dedicated to sharing knowledge and encouraging curiosity about sex and sexuality.

Her videos are typically less than ten minutes, and many provide visuals and demonstrations.

Doe is a clinical sexologist and holds a Ph. D. in human sexuality from the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality.

Watts the Safeword is a channel geared toward the LGBT community and those who live alternative lifestyles, such as kink or BDSM.

They post sexual education videos that cover taboo topics, LGBT issues, bondage ties, and more.

The Sex Ed podcast is a relatively new podcast available on Apple Podcast and on their website.

Their shows range from talking about premature ejaculation and birth control to tips on cunnilingus and fellatio.

They also have a website that posts articles on various topics and has reputable contributors such as Sunny Rogers, a clinical sexologist, sex coach, and sex toy designer.

Bryana Lozoya