Discrimination against men

Rosa Salazar, Copy Editor

You can’t have a feminist column and not talk about men. Did you know men are discriminated against for their gender?

One discrimination is they can receive longer prison sentences compared to their female counterparts.

In a study conducted by Sonja B. Starr, a law professor at the University of Michigan, found gender disparities in federal criminal cases.

In her paper, “Estimating Gender Disparities in Federal Criminal Cases,” Starr states, “men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do,” and “[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted.”

Starr provides her theories that could answer the question as to why men receive harsher scrutiny.

One of her theories states parental responsibilities.

“Prosecutors and/or judges worry about the effect of maternal incarceration on children. Other research shows that female defendants are far more likely than men to have primary or sole custody, and incarcerating women more often results in foster care placements,” Starr stated.

Another sexist discrimination against men is being a victim of abuse.

There are several forms of abuse: physical, sexual, emotional, financial and cultural abuse that can affect both genders.

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) defines domestic abuse as “the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another.”

The NCADV also provides statistics of domestic violence in California in 2016.

About percent of women and twenty-seven-point three percent of men experience physical violence and or sexual violence in their lifetimes.

Why don’t men come forward when they are victims?

Perhaps the world still believes men can’t be victims of abuse.

In 2016, Terry Crews, an actor, accused a well-known talent agent of sexually assaulting him.

The alleged incident happened at an industry party in front of his wife, Rebecca King-Crews.

Crews told Good Morning America that at first, the talent agent made moves with his tongue at him.

“He comes over to me. I stick my hand out, and he literally takes his hand and puts it and squeezes my genitals. I jump back like, ‘Hey, hey,” Crews said.

“He just won’t stop…I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified. I was horrified…It’s so bizarre. I wake up every morning wondering, ‘Did this really happen?’”

Crews is a 6’3” 245-pound former NFL football player that was assaulted in front of a bunch of people!

Abuse does not discriminate against gender. Abusers need to be held accountable for their actions no matter if they are known to the victim, or if it’s their boss, or a stranger passing by.

Another reason why men don’t come forward is that there aren’t as many resources or support for them.

Although there are many shelters that take in males, about 84 out of 174 in California, that is not enough. Men need more support.