Two-day blood drive at BC

Hilario Ismael Gomez, Reporter

Free themed T-shirts and saving lives highlighted the recent blood drive on the Bakersfield College campus with people from all over the community in attendance.

The Houchin Blood Bank and the BCSGA hosted their annual two-day blood drive event on March 6 and 7. 

Houchin Community Blood Bank is a non-profit organization known for being the main provider of safe and adequate blood from volunteer donors from Kern County for the purpose of saving the lives of Kern County residents.

The Houchin Blood Bank has become a popular and common household name among students because of their widespread blood drives among high schools in the area and their lengthy advertising efforts.

Community development manager Stephanie Gibbons headed the Houchin’s effort and has become the face of donating blood and helping the community because of how often she has been the face of these events. 

As usual, most people were approved and admitted to the blood drive and went through an extensive process to determine whether they are fit to donate blood.

Houchin requires its donors to bring a picture ID, be free of sickness, eat throughout the day, weigh at least 110 pounds, and be at least 16 years old with a signed waiver from a parent or guardian.

After the initial screening volunteers then fill out a lengthy questionnaire about their medical history and are tested on their blood pressure by Houchin’s certified nurses before finally being cleared to donate.

BCGSA was very hands-on with providing help with the event.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for the students, it’s great that the blood drive is brought to us in order to help the community,” said Samantha Pulido, Vice President of BCGSA who helped with sign-ups at the event.

“It’s very important that were saving lives with these blood drives and it’s cool that we are one of the only places that do a two-day blood drive,” said Ashley Harp President of BCGSA who also volunteered her time.