What does love mean?

Jazmin Velazquez

Reggie Williams, a philosophy instructor at BC, talked about the meanings of love, purpose, and value on March. 13 at the Levan Center.

Jazmin Velazquez, Reporter

For this Gadfly Cafe session, people discussed the meanings of love, purpose, and value on March 13 at the Levan Center.

The Gadfly Cafe is where students and people come and gather to discuss different issues throughout the semester.

Reggie Williams, philosophy instructor at Bakersfield College, led the discussion. 

Williams asked people questions about their opinions about love, and one of the questions he asked was “Is love a feeling or an emotion?” 

One person’s opinion was that love isn’t an emotion, love is when you choose to be with someone or a feeling of strong affection for someone.

“To me, a healthy relationship is built on respect for one another. Each person understands the commitment they are taking to the other person,” BC student, Katherine Bolanos said.

Another questioned Williams asked was “What expectations do we have when we love somebody?” 

We need patience and time, he said. 

Each individual shared their own thoughts about love and what is its purpose.

“What does love mean to you?” Williams asked. 

There is no right or wrong answer; each person gave their own meaning of love. 

“For example, love can refer as loving our dad, mom, or children,” Williams said.

As the discussion went on, the crowd debated each other’s responses on how they felt.  

Many felt different emotions and opinions regarding what love is. 

“Things won’t always be great,” BC student, Jessie Ramos said. 

“Your partner may do things that will make you angry, but if you are willing to not look at the obstacles, but rather as opportunities for growth, then you are truly in love,” Ramos said when they discussed the importance of love.

Williams openly asked “What is the purpose of love?” 

“Love is not just happiness and pleasure,” he said.

“I think the purpose of love or relationships is to live with the person you love and maintain social structures, like getting married and having kids,” BC student, Brenda Marquez said.