BC’s band and orchestra host annual spring concert

Hilario Ismael Gomez, Reporter

The Bakersfield College’s Concert Band and Orchestra performed their annual spring concert that included six student performers in the Edwards Simonson Performing Arts Center on campus on March 22. 

The doors opened at 7:30 p.m., and guests were able to purchase $10 general admission tickets and students with an ID were charged $8 for the performance. 

The students performed concertos, arias, and chamber music while being accompanied by a bevy of BC wind and string students. 

Led by BC’s Concert Band and Orchestra Conductor, Kathryn Kuby, the program the repertoire of the night included pieces such as “Molly on the Shore” by Percy Grainger, “Resplendent Glory” by Rossano Galante, “Nessun Dorma from Turandot’ by Giacomo Puccini,and “Beautiful Colorado” by Joseph De Luca before the first intermission of the night. 

On return from intermission the Bakersfield College String Quartet dedicated a playing of “With Pride” to the Highland High School Blackwatch Brigade.  

This was an original composition by Allen David Gallego for this occasion. 

Following that the Bakersfield College Orchestra played “Cello Concerto No. 1 in C major” accompanied by Sebastian Lee on the Cello. 

The Bakersfield College Orchestra played a couple more pieces accompanied by a mix of Lorea Laverty, David Gallego, Joshua Forquera and Abigail Watson. 

The night was concluded with a playing of “Into The Storm” by Robert W Smith by the Concert Band and Orchestra. 

Following the last performance Kuby thanked the audience for their attendance of the concert and the musicians took their final bows.

Hilario Ismael Gomez
The Bakersfield College’s Concert Band and Orchestra performing their annual spring concert in the Edwards Simonson Performing Arts Center on BC campus, March 22.
Hilario Ismael Gomez
Bakersfield College’s Concert Band and Orchestra conductor, Kathryn Kuby, during the annual spring concert, March 22.