BC Renegades Host Preseason Game Against the Central Valley Marlins

Bianca Cacciola, Reporter

Jacqueline Gutierrez
BC sophomore Ryan Darbee (6) getting ready to swing on a pitch from the Central Valley Marlins at the preseason game on Oct. 12.

BC baseball hosted the first preseason game for the upcoming year on Oct. 12. No score was kept as the Renegades hit the field and faced the Central Valley Marlins.

With high hopes in mind and eyes on the prize, the team’s goal remains the same for their 2020 season.

“Our goal this year, as well as every year, is to win the state championship,” said Ryan Darbee, the Renegades’ sophomore third baseman.

In the 2019 baseball season, the team went 26-16 and won the conference championship, but fell short in the first round of playoffs which ended their season.

Jacqueline Gutierrez
BC freshman John Bell (11) attempting to swing at a pitch from the Central Valley Marlins at the preseason game on Oct. 12.

“I think we have a really good team this year. We have a great group of guys and we seem to mesh well,” Darbee said. “We all know we can’t win playing individually so we’ve done a good job of coming together as a team and pushing each other every day. We have a competitive atmosphere out at practice and I think it’s really helped myself, as well as the rest of the team, to improve.”

Although the score remained 0-0 throughout the entirety of the game, the Renegades were hitting good and running their players in. This preseason game served as good preparation for the season ahead.

Jacqueline Gutierrez
BC freshman Matt Patton (7) sprinting from second base to third base at the preseason game on Oct. 12.
BC freshman Matt Patton (7) sliding to third base as teammates Hector Ruvalcaba (3) and Landn Kauk (8) watch him.