The grand opening of the Vernon Valenzuela Veterans Resource Center

Jacqueline Gutierrez, Reporter

BC veterans, students, and faculty members celebrated the grand opening of the new Veterans Resource Center (VRC) on Dec. 10.

The VRC temporarily relocated to Levinson Hall while the construction of the new VRC happened, but now the VRC is located next to the LA building and the forum.

The VRC celebrated the grand opening and the renaming of the building. The new building is named the Vernon Valenzuela Veterans Resource Center, after a BC faculty member who impacted the lives of BC Veterans, including Armando Trujillo, a veteran and current staff member of the center.

“This power and responsibility sparked his passion and vision to effect

Jacqueline Gutierrez
Members of the Vernon Valenzuela Resource Center, local government officials, and veterans cutting the red ribbon at the grand opening ceremony on Dec. 10.

change personally in his community and for his fellow veterans. Vernon’s vision was evident within the vets center and his passion was instilled for all who worked there, his influence is stronger than ever and very alive in this community. And because of his passion and commitment his influence in many would be his legacy,” Trujillo said.

The Veterans Center is the first building to be completed by the Measure J program the program value of the center is $7 million building created by IBI architect and the center includes a study area, computer labs, counseling, and a lounge area, according to the BC website.

“Nurturing of student veterans has always been a part of BC’s history. From then to now whether our student veterans served in wartime or peacetime the responsibility to educate them and to honor them BC has not taken lightly. For the three years after World War II student veterans actually outnumbered nonveteran students,” Sonya Chrisitan, President of Bakersfield College, said.