BC Mental Health Screenings

Collin Acevedo, News Editor

Bakersfield College hosted a mental health screening day on Feb. 16 led by the Office of Student Life and the Student Health and Wellness Center, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m on Zoom.

A beneficial promotion for all Bakersfield College students to be screened privately by Students of Concern (SOC) interns for depression and anxiety. To help promote a healthy BC, it’s free of charge for all currently enrolled and stands to help connect those who need assistance to the help they require.

Speaking with Vanessa Nunez, who helped run the program and explained a bit more about it. “We are Students of Concern (SOC) MSW student success interns, and our role at BC is to connect students with wraparound services both on campus and in the community. After screening students, we will discuss BC resources such as SHWC services which are available to enrolled BC students. All students who partake in the event will receive crucial information and services to assist them in their journey at BC.”

With this being the third year of the program running, it continues to benefit Bakersfield College students in years to come.

Nunez also stated “to normalize mental health and address health equity for the student body. Everyone needs help or someone to work through situations. It’s important to understand that asking or receiving help is needed, and we are here to help.”

Remembering that you’re not alone in mental health situations is an important thing to realize. The Student Wellness Center services are open for all Bakersfield College students, with online and in-person counseling being available Monday- Thursday 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. You can also schedule an appointment by calling (661)395-4336 or emailing us at [email protected].

Nunez lastly stated “while this event is only once a year, For those students who can’t make our event, they are encouraged to reach out to SOC interns and schedule a later screening. We are housed in the Office of Student Life, call us directly at (661)395-4383.”

Mental Health is a sensitive and serious matter, and the Office of student life is here to help, so please, if you need help, do call.