BC holds voter information seminar

Taylor Jensen, Reporter

Robert Price, a columnist at The Bakersfield Californian, gave an in-depth look of state propositions at the Bakersfield College library on Oct. 4.

Price presented the California propositions on a slideshow and explained the “yes” and “no” voting options for each one. Initially, Price shared his thoughts on young people voting and its importance.

“I think everybody should be registered to vote. The turnout among young people is terrible and anything BC can do to encourage students to vote is great and getting them registered to vote is obviously a prerequisite,” Price said.

The propositions Price discussed the most were propositions 1, 2, 3, and 6 for the Nov. 6 general election.

Proposition 1 will build affordable homes for veterans, people with disabilities, and low-income families.

“Affordable housing is a big issue in California. California is two and a half times the national average in housing value so it’s hard for low-income families to live here,” Price said.

Proposition 2 will utilize unspent money from the 2004 measure that was intended to fund mental health services to provide permanent housing for mentally ill people and the homeless.

A pamphlet distributed at the event by the League of Women Voters made some recommendations.

The League recommended a “no” vote for Proposition 3 because the group claims it has a number of serious flaws. It would shift the cost of water to taxpayers and reduce state money for education and healthcare.

They also urged a vote of “no” on Proposition 6 because, if passed, it would repeal “the recently-enacted 2017 package of taxes and fees approved by the State Legislature to fund transportation projects” even though the people would have the knowledge of future gas and car tax like they desire.

“The price of gasoline will remain the same with a no vote; the price [of gasoline] will drop but the roads don’t get fixed with a yes vote,” Price said.

Laura Luiz, BC Reference Librarian, explained why this meeting was important to her.

“To me, what was most important was making students aware of this proposition and that they need to participate [in this election],” Luiz said.

It is always urged that young adults get out and vote and Price provided his complex thought on how voting would impact their lives.

“It’ll get them plugged into reality. It’ll give them a shove in the right direction to think about the world they live in and what’s important to them.” Price said.