Campus safe after gunman spotted in surrounding neighborhood

Haley Duval, Editor-in-Chief

Bakersfield College Campus Safety announced that all BC essential in-person evening classes on Oct. 28 have been canceled, after the Kern County Sheriff’s Office informed them that a Hispanic male, possibly with a shotgun, was spotted approximately a half mile from campus was in the area near Dartmouth and Nelson streets.
Around 3:30 p.m. Campus Safety sent out a timely warning to BC students and faculty asking those who were on campus to shelter in place and remain away from the campus area until notified.
Campus security responded by remaining on watch throughout the campus, immediately warned individuals on campus, including the Child Development Center with 20 children and 15 staff inside, locked every campus facility.
The situation was contained at 4:02 p.m., according to a follow-up alert, but in-person classes on campus remained cancelled.
“Bakersfield College’s Campus Safety office worked swiftly to provide information and ensure the safety of all essential individuals on campus during the active situation. Bakersfield College’s Incident Command Center was activated less than a minute after the call, bringing together campus administrators to follow campus safety protocols and account for any individuals on campus. The rapid actions of BC’s Campus Safety officers ensured that Renegades were secure and timely notifications sent to the campus community,” said BC’s Director of Communication and Community Relations, Norma Rojas.
17 news reported that a man was taken in custody.