BC men’s basketball team defeats College of the Canyons in a close win

Hilario Gomez

BC Men’s Basketball team breaking their pregame huddle.

Hilario Ismael Gomez, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Men’s Basketball opened up their Western State Conference South Division play, with a very close win over the College of the Canyons Cougars (9-12, 0-1), 85-80, at the Gil Bishop Sports Center on Wednesday, Jan 23 at 5 pm.

With BC coming into the Wednesday’s game at 12-7 overall opening up conference play with a strong outing against the College of the Canyons Cougars was crucial to setting a tone for the remainder of the season.

The BC Renegades with a rather slow and shaky start to their season has been on a bit of a hot streak winning 4 of their last 5 because of the play of sophomore guards Anieus Medrano and Shahadah Camp.

The team looked rather in sync coming into this game, hitting their stride right before heading into conference play.

Forward Malik Tautau (33) setting up for a pass while being guarded by a COC defender.

The game for the majority was an evenly matched contest with constant lead changes in the first half and a neck and neck game until the final minutes between the two teams.

Jeffrey Lee, the freshman guard from Grand Rapids, Michigan led BC with 22 points in the nail-biting victory while also scoring a game-deciding three-pointer in the final minute while for the College of the Canyon Cougars guard Jude Agbasi contributed 23 points and 7 rebounds.

Hilario Gomez
Guard Quentin Pettiford (22) defending a shot by a COC player.

Lee and the BC Renegades will look to improve to 2-0 in conference play and 14-7 overall against the 0-1 Los Angeles Pierce Bulls on the road Saturday, Jan 26, then the West Los Angeles Wildcats on the road Wednesday, Jan 30.

The game against the Bethesda at the Gil Bishop Sports Center on Saturday, Jan 19 was canceled due to scheduling conflicts between the two teams.

Hilario Gomez
BC player reaching for an offensive rebound.