BC releases three-phase plan to bring fans back to sporting events

Nicholas Covello, Editor

For over a year, Bakersfield College, along with the rest of the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) have gone without fans at their sporting events. The bleachers that were once filled with screaming fans have been empty and silent for a long time due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bakersfield College’s Renegade Athletics announced their three-phase plan that will eventually lead to the return of spectators to our sporting events. The announcement was released on the Renegade Athletics website on Apr. 15, 2021.

Currently, Bakersfield College is still in the first phase of this plan. During the first phase, no fans are allowed to be on campus during any sporting events according to CCCAA and Institution of High Education (IHE) rules.

“We are hopeful to be able to welcome the most loyal fans in JC athletics back to campus soon,” said Interim Dean of Kinesiology/Athletic Director Reggie Bolton in the announcement of the plan.

The second phase of the plan will allow for a smaller number of fans to attend games, with each student-athlete from the home team being allowed to have two spectators watch them play. These spectators will be required to sit in designated areas, wear a mask, remain socially distant, stay sanitized, and they must follow all of BC’s on-campus protocols. All attendees are required to stay at the event, as they are not allowed to leave and come back later on.

The third phase of the plan will allow for the bleachers to be fully reopened, allowing fans of Renegade Athletics to root for their team, albeit with a mask mandate, in full capacity once again.

“Our top priority is to always keep our student-athletes safe, and we know by following the guidelines of the IHE, the CCCAA, and our local health authorities, we will do just that,” Bolton said in the announcement.