Michelle Guerrero’s “Mr.Baby” exhibit is on display at the Bakersfield College Library

Mrbabby%E2%80%99s+Latin+roots+show+in+the+paintings+

Cameron Johnson

Mrbabby’s Latin roots show in the paintings

Rosa Salazar, Reporter

The directors of the Wylie and May Louise Jones Gallery located inside the Grace Van Dyke Library at Bakersfield College have decided to feature the artwork of Michelle Guerrero, “MrBbaby”, until Oct. 11.

The art exhibit, “MrBbaby,” by Michelle Guerrero was selected by the directors of the Wylie and May Louise Jones gallery inside the Grace Van Dyke Library at Bakersfield College.

The opening reception for “Alegres Sueños” was on Sept. 6 from 1-7p.m. The gallery was directed by Ronnie Wrest, Kristopher Stallworth, and Jeffrey Houston, who are all part of BC’s Art Department.

Ronnie Wrest, co-director of the gallery, said he wanted to feature artists outside of Kern County.

“We try to bring someone in this time of year when we have artists in that are not in Kern County [to] expose students to art from outside of the area,” said Wrest. Wrest also emphasized the importance of featuring female artists.

Cameron Johnson
BC students observe Mrbbaby’s artwork at the May Louise Jones Gallery on Sept. 6.

“We felt like it was important to, in this particular instance, show a woman … It doesn’t always happen as prominently as it should,” said Wrest.

Kristopher Stallworth, BC’s Art Department chair, said there multiple exhibitions per year.

“We have anywhere from four to six depending on the year,” he said.

Artist Michelle Guerrero, from San Diego, gave advice to people who want to become full-time artists.

“Just put yourself out there, don’t let rejection stop you,” said Guerrero. “It’s only part of it and not everyone is going to like your art so grow thick skin and just keep doing it. Do it for you, for nobody else but you.”

Guerrero, who has been a full-time artist for over a year, said she gets her inspiration from her Chicana heritage, culture, and other Chicano artists. Guerrero also said she has struggled to be where she is.

Mrbabby’s Latin roots convey a tone of warmth and innocence

“I’ve always had struggles till this day. It’s not an easy thing to decide to do. You’re always trying to find a job, so it’s never [an] official thing. It’s definitely scary but I just knew that this is what I want to be doing I want to be satisfied that I did, at least, give it my all.”

The exhibition showcased Guerrero’s paintings, piñatas, and a wall mural.

BC student, Erin Dowden, commented on Guerrero’s artwork, “I think it’s pretty neat. She uses a lot of vibrant colors, it really catches your eye. It’s very different from my own style.” Dowden said about Guerrero.

Another BC student, Abel Perez, said Guerrero’s art was colorful. Perez also expressed his ambivalence regarding a few paintings, including a blue mural.

Cameron Johnson
BC student Abel Perez examines Mrbabby’s artwork at the May Louise Jones Gallery on Sept. 6.

“I don’t know if I like it or I don’t,” he said. “It says something, it says you know I’m afraid, I’m sad, I’m helpless but it’s disturbing; there’s a person’s head on it.” Perez also said he liked a Hot Cheetos painting the artist created.

“I really like the Hot Cheetos one [because of] the detail that she put and I don’t know what this character is, [or] if this is like her complete creation but it’s awesome.”