BC holds welcome week events for incoming and returning students

Adeli Arvizu, Reporter

Bakersfield College students relieved some stress with a couple of friendly boxing matches at the Renegade Rage: Jumbo Boxing Event, on Jan. 28 outside the huddle.  The event was part of BC’s Welcome Week, where the first two weeks of the semester consisted of interactive events, performances, and tournaments to welcome the new semester.

Despite a minimal turnout, a few students were persuaded into entering the blue and green inflatable bounce house.  For safety reasons, the students who joined had to first sign a waiver before entering.

Not long into the event participants were laughing as they tried to maintain their balance while also attempting to maneuver the huge boxing gloves. They proceeded to charge their opponent, people fell over themselves or succeeded in a take down. Bystanders stopped to watch the matches and cheered on the volunteers.

“It looked fun,” Kaleb Adams, a participant and second-semester student at BC, said. “I haven’t played boxing in a bouncing house, in a while.”

The goals for Welcome Week this semester was to get students excited for the new semester and motivated them to get involved in more school activities. The activities included helping students navigate throughout the campus and gave them the opportunity to voice any concerns they had.

The first week of Welcome Week also involved hot cocoa and cookies being sold outside the library on Jan. 21. On Jan. 22, the huddle showcased “Mind Surfin’: A Mentalist show” for an afternoon of hypnosis, followed with a movie night on Jan. 23 which showed the movie “Zombieland: Double Tap.”

On Jan. 27, a Super Smash Bros Tournament was hosted by the BCSGA in the Levinson Hall and there was Churros with BCSGA President Pulido at the huddle. On Jan. 29, students participated in a selfie scavenger hunt on campus, and on Thursday students were able to showcase their talents at BC Got Talent: Entertainment Gauntlet at the huddle.

Throughout both weeks the Renegade Pantry gave out daily bread every morning at 8 am at the Levinson Hall.

There were also multiple BC welcome stands every day placed around campus with student government members handing out planners and giving information.

“Do not give up, ask for help when needed and take advantage of all campus resources,” Danny Escobar, Vice President of the BCSGA, said.

Adeli Arvizu
BCSGA Senator Gian Gayatao and Alexander Bridges, a second semester student at BC, handing out planners and helping students at welcome stands.