Beat the Clock, Get the Money

Anthony Vasquez, Reporter

The deadline for applying for Student Financial Aid is right around the corner. March second is the priority deadline, and the date seems to approach students closer and closer by the day. The office of Financial Aid at Bakersfield College held their Financial Aid Fest Virtual Resource Fair last Wednesday, February 16, to inform and help students out with their applications. 

There are many things to consider for many students when it comes to their application. With two different forms being available, the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (CDAA). The FAFSA application is aimed towards students who are U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Eligible Noncitizens, while the CDAA is aimed towards Undocumented students, TPS, and others. 

The event informed students about what they needed to get through the process. The FAFSA requires students to provide their 2020 Income Information (through taxes and W2’s), a valid Social Security Number, parent marital status, an email address, a phone number, and their parent’s Social Security Numbers (or zeros), along with their Date of Birth.

For the CDAA, students are required to provide 2020 Income Information (Taxes and W2’s), parent marital status, a permanent address, student and parent email address, parent’s SSN or an ITIN, and their date of birth. 

Students interested in doing an application for student financial aid should also consider creating an account for WebGrant4Students, which is where they can manage their Cal Grant eligibility. 

“Come One, Come All!” The Office of Financial Aid will also be open for students who need assistance with their application and have questions or want more information. They have a virtual lobby through Zoom, which can be found online through the Bakersfield Website, between 8 a.m.-4 p.m. on Mondays-Thursdays, and on Fridays from 8 am-11:45 a.m. 

There’s also a Student Info Desk which is open throughout the entire week, Mondays-Thursdays at 8 a.m.-4 p.m, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. on Fridays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays, and Sundays through 10 a.m-2 p.m.