A day for BC gamers

Chris Miller, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Student Government Association will be hosting an event called Gamer Day on April 16 from noon to 6 p.m.

According to director of student organizations Chad Hidalgo, Gamer Day, formally known as Extra-Life, will coincide with Garden Fest and will take place in the Agricultural building on campus.

The event is formally called Extra-Life because the BCSGA is raising funds through the non-profit organization, Extra-Life. The Extra-Life organization is a non-profit organization that partners with hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Hospital Network and donates all of the funds received from donations during the event to a children’s hospital of the fundraisers’ choice. All donations collected during this event will be sent to Lauren Small’s Children’s Medical Center at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital.

Participants will register to be part of a team that commits to gaming for 24 hours. During the 24-hour time period, the gamers will be playing hard in order to incentivize spectators to donate to the cause. The 24-hour commitment doesn’t need to be done all at once, and donations are not limited to that time period.

The fundraising goal for this event is $1,500, but BCSGA is looking to exceed that goal.

Registration with the team, RENEGAMERS, is free, and upon registering members will get their own fundraising page that they can link to their own personal social media pages. Gamers who register with the RENEGAMERS team will have their donations reflected in the team standings, and if those members have earned at least $15 on their own pages, their Gamer Day admission will be free. Participants can register with any team of their choice, not just the RENEGAMERS team.

Admission on the day of the event will be $15 for all day access and will include a snack. For $20, a meal ticket will be included, but the details of what will be included in that meal ticket are still being worked out. There will be vendors from the gaming industry set up on site, as well as prizes to be awarded during the event. Participants are encouraged and allowed to show up in costume and will receive an additional free opportunity drawing ticket for doing so.

For more information on the event or how to get involved contact SGA via Chad Hidalgo’s email: [email protected] or via his office phone: (661) 395-4614.

For more information on Extra-Life or to join the RENEGAMERS team, go to: www.extra-life.org

For more information on the Lauren Small Children’s Medical Center go to: www.childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org/