BC holds 13th annual Garden Fest

Alexis Pedroza, Reporter

Bakersfield College held their 13th annual Garden Fest on April 21 in the Renegade Parks here on campus. All clubs and departments at BC were encouraged to promote their organization. This included free admission and parking for all those in attendance. There were numerous vendors that sold a variety of things such as plants, food, T-shirts and other fun souvenirs.

People in attendance were also able to take advantage of the opportunity to take free gardening and culinary art seminars. This was a very family oriented event and many families from all over the community came to check out the fest.

“I enjoy being able to take out my kids to events like these,” said local resident Melissa Sosa.

“They enjoy being outside, especially on a nice day like this.”

Visitors were also able to experience a special presentation called ‘Throwdown with Chef John Mcfee’, this involved 3 other top culinary art students here at BC.

They provide many impressive cooking tips using different plants at the festival.

Other vendors sold organic products like honey and jams that people enjoyed. Bakersfield College clubs were also present providing interesting information to everyone at the event. This was a great opportunity for clubs and departments to grow their organization and increase membership.

People enjoyed music and other fun activities that this year’s Garden Fest provided to them and their families. Attendee, Maria Chavez also described her experience at the fest.

“I would recommend anyone to come and participate because there’s many things to see” Chavez said. “I’m having fun.”

There was also a raffle that guest could partake in and win cool prizes such as a Outdoor Fun Family Package and Pamper Me Basket.

The winners this year were Rosalee Pogue and Chris Schorr.

Overall this year’s Garden Fest went very smoothly and had a fantastic turnout.