BC Alumna runs for District 2 supervisor

Paige Atkison, Editor-in-Chief

In an ambitious campaign, Bakersfield College alumna Whitney Weddell is attempting to unseat incumbent Zach Scrivner as the Kern County Supervisor for District 2.

Though Scrivner has held the position for nearly eight years, Weddell is confident in her campaign.

“We have been very successful,” Weddell said. “I am so pleased at the number of supporters who keep coming out of the woodwork.”

Weddell’s primary strategy is to focus on local issues. Weddell believes it is those issues that drive Kern County voters.

“People are concerned about the economy and jobs. The unemploymentCourtesy of Whitney Weddell
rate in East Kern fluctuates with [the rate of] unemployment being three to four times the national average.”

Weddell added that the constituents in East Kern feel undervalued.

“They feel left out. And I hear a similar story from people in West Kern. They just feel like Bakersfield is always the priority, and everyone else gets what is left over,” Weddell said.

Weddell would like to draw more attention to the need for additional county services in East Kern.

“There are only three deputies patrolling 1,700 square miles,” Weddell added.

When asked what sets her apart from her opponent, Weddell referenced her passion for serving the community.

“I’m a person of the people. I’ve spent the last 35 years of my life serving at the grassroots level. I’ve been greatly impacted personally by hearing people’s stories about how they’re trying to survive in these areas without the services they need,” Weddell said.

Weddell says she has a plan for the district’s constituents.

“[I want to] work on economic diversity that brings jobs to these areas, bringing hope to these people. [And] work on budget issues to make sure the whole county is getting the resources they need.”

Long after her graduation, Weddell was chosen to be one of BC’s 100 Stars. When asked what she would like to convey to students at her alma mater, she talked about her personal growth as a BC student.

“BC is where I found myself,” Weddell said. “When I left high school, I was swimming in a very large ocean and trying to define myself. When I went to BC, I put my life in order.”

“I was just searching,” she added. “It was while I was at BC where I realized who I was, where I want to go, and the difference I want to make in the world.”

Weddell credited her time at BC for the development of her passion for public service.

“I decided I wanted to change the world when I was 19 at BC. I owe a great debt to Bakersfield College.”