Rad Tech Celebrates 50th Anniversary

Tiarra McCormick, Reporter

In a classroom full of students, supporters, and past and present program directors. Bakersfield College celebrated the Radiologic Technology program’s 50th anniversary with refreshments, a showcase of equipment, and conversation. The event was held on campus and was honored by special guest Chris Parlier from the Mayor’s office. The Mayor’s office presented the program with an award for educational excellence and recognition from the community to celebrate 50 years.

The Rad Tech program began in 1958 at Mercy Hospital and was led by Ferris Boyce. At that time there were different requirements, the program was only available for ages 18-30, they’re were in-person interviews, and there were limited spots. By 1979 the location of the program had moved a few times but found a permanent home in MS 21 at Bakersfield College and Nancy Perkins was named the program director at age 31.

Tiarra McCormick
Chris Parlier from the Mayor’s office presents Jacelyn Hill with an award for the Rad Tech 50th program Celebration

The program over the years flourished, transformed, and advanced as technology improved the program. The school added new equipment, expanded rooms, and establishing a scholarship in Perkin’s name with the help of Tom Gelder and Kathy Hairfield. In 2017 Jacelyn Hill became the program director and continued the development of the program and honored Perkin’s achievements and many years of dedication to the Rad Tech Program. A bench was installed with a plaque named in Perkin’s honor. The bench is next to the Math and Science building near the parking lot under trees.

The Bakersfield College Rad Tech program produces 85% of the imaging technicians that apply for jobs locally. There has been 100 percent job placement for graduates in the last seven years who complete the program. The program has exceeded above national averages for students who pass the board exams their first time. The program won and has been in the top five Rad Tech Bowl Competition ACERT.

In the future, they would like to grow the imaging program with the help of the community. The program would also like to research the community needs and offer help to grow in mammography, CT/MRI over time.