Office of Financial Aid hosts Financial Aid Festival at BC

Humberto Chairez, Reporter

The Financial Aid Office held a festival at the Bakersfield College campus on Feb. 12. The event included with music, food, and information for students interested in financial help.

“Financial Aid is a government assistance program to help students get through college,” Financial Aid student worker Alyse Rodriguez-Montes said. “[Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) helps me buy books, school supplies, help relive [financial] stress.”

According to Rodriguez-Montez, signing up for Financial Aid is not hard and there are a lot of places students can go to for help such as counseling, Finish in 4, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, and the Financial Aid office.

Other programs presented their contributions to the students at BC. “We’re trying to spread the word out to helping veterans financially, therapeutically, socially with offered programs” Warren Schulz, Outreach Assistant for the Student Wounded Heroes Fund, said. Their programs include service dogs, horseback riding, week long backpacking and also grants to help veterans attending college. The program is a local nonprofit organization to help the veterans here in Kern County Schulz said.

DJ Ace provided the music for the festival with a lot of current pop songs. He left his booth and danced the “Cupid Shuffle” with the audience.

Humberto Chairez
Bakersfield College students dancing the “Cupid Shuffle” with DJ Ace at the Financial Aid Festival on Feb. 12.

“I like it! Everything is all out, easy access, I’m usually so busy [that I don’t have time]” Citlali Sanchez-Acosta, Music Major student at BC, said.

The Financial Aid Festival helps spread awareness to attending students that there are easy ways to raise money to help students get through college.