Ronald Ramirez talks about the music history of Bakersfield

Marina Gonzalez, News Editor

Bakersfield College hosted a virtual Q&A session on Facebook with their special guest Ronald Ramirez, a local musician and record store owner as a part of the BC Music Summit on Oct 14.
Originally from Bakersfield, Ramirez grew up listening to music and is the owner of a music store, Going Underground Records, located on 1312 19th St. Some people consider the store to be a museum of local music history. According to Ramirez, people from different places drive in to come to see the store.
He shared his knowledge of music and the music history of Bakersfield and showed old photos, records, and flyers of local musicians from the past, such as Richie Perez, The Gaylands, Body Train, and The Pictures. Even the Lizards, who was one of the first three punk bands in Bakersfield.
“There’s so much stuff that came out of here that is often overlooked,” Ramirez said.
Some of the local bands from the past were mostly punk bands. When it comes to the Bakersfield Sound, most people think of country music. But punk and reggae music were also types of music that were made in Bakersfield.
He talked about how some people come to the record store to either collect records or buy CDs. However, not many people buy CDs because music has become digital to buy in recent years, which lead to him eliminating them from the store.
People have still bought more music from the store by shopping off of the store’s website.
As students asked questions, Ramirez gave some advice to any music students who attended the session.
“The best thing is to make something that is everlasting,” he said. “Something that someone is always going to want.”
Ramirez also explained how it is a good thing to promote, write, or showcase local music. It helps attract people from different places and makes publicity for the town. It’s creating pride in your own town.
“I love showcasing Bakersfield stuff because no one thinks about it,” he said. “If we don’t hype up our own city, and if we don’t hype up our own people, who are going to do it?”
As the session came to an end, Ramirez gave some more advice to encourage students who want to pursue music. He encouraged them to start recording their own music and work hard at it.
“Start recording, practice, play shows,” he said. “Do your own thing and make your own shows.”