BC hosts CSU student panel for Undocumented Student Action Week

Logan Odneal, Reporter

As part of Bakersfield College’s Undocumented Student Action Week, Educational Advisor, Rafael Centeno, hosted a panel discussion with three undocumented students from California State University, Bakersfield.
The panelists included former Bakersfield College graduates, Karen Cid, a psychology major, Pedro Costa-Meza, a future assistant physical therapist, and Audrey Fu, a student who is learning to become a teacher.
Centeno asked the students how their experience was when transferring to a CSU. Meza shared it was a smooth process.
Centeno then asked the panelists what the workload is like.
Cid shared that there was a lot of reading, and she has had to do a six to seven-page research paper in addition to writing 300 words a week on a discussion board. It was a struggle because Cid lacks writing skills, but she is proud of the improvement in her writing. She also said that it is critical to manage time.
Meza said the expectations at CSU Bakersfield are higher than at BC. But that his experience is limited because he only took classes there for a month before realizing his goals can be better achieved elsewhere.
Sanchez said that it depends on the professor and the class, she has had two research papers so far as she has a more writing-focused program.
Centeno asked if they are part of any clubs or student organizations.
Cid replied that she is a member of United Now for Immigrant Rights, a club that stands up for the rights of undocumented students and DACA recipients. Her desire to be part of that club came from her involvement in Latinos Unidos Por Education (L.U.P.E.), a club encouraging undocumented students to get a higher education regardless of obstacles related to their documented status.
Before handing the event over to the audience for Q&A Centeno asked the panelists if they have any advice for people looking to go to a CSU.
Cid said to not get discouraged, if a student has a firm mind and knows what they want to do, nothing can stop them.
Meza said students should do what they love to do, while Sanchez agreed and added don’t give up, ask for help, and organize yourself.
During the audience Q&A, Meza was asked about what he is currently doing.
He said that because he wants to be a physical therapist assistant, he doesn’t need an advanced degree and that most programs for being a physical therapist assistant are through community colleges. He is now at College of the Sequoias.