BCSGA holds a showing of the “No Safe Spaces” film

Hugo Maldonado Garcia, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Student Government Association (BCSGA) held a film screening online for students and staff on Dec. 1. The film shown was “No Safe Spaces.”
It follows film comedian and podcast presenter Adam Carolla and radio talk show host Dennis Prager to have deep conversations and examine what free speech looks and sounds like today within the country.
In the film, one of the main focuses is the story of “Bret Weinstein, a biology professor at a College in Washington state. He was criticized and received a lot of backlash from the majority of the student body for attending the university during a “Day of Absence.”
Weinstein thought it would be best for him to resign after he refused to participate in the Day of no instruction. In the film, it showed the mob and protest
According to the official “No Safe Spaces” Film website, it discussed “The First Amendment and how the idea of free speech is under attack in America today. Americans do not believe they have the right to speak freely without offending someone.”
This documentary-style film was released a year ago and not many of these topics have changed in the lives of college students and faculty about university safe spaces.
The film also covers free speech within the first amendment and controversies that occurred when conservatives or discouraging political views were invited to speak at universities or in classroom settings.
The 1st Amendment is the right every U.S. Citizen has which is the freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of religion. However, the main question in the “No Safe Spaces” film was the fact that maybe saying things that can hurt one another is contradicting what this amendment is about.
In the film, famous comedians such as Adam Carolla, who is one of the hosts for this film, and Tim Allen, who is best known for some of Disney’s most famous movies like “The Santa Clause” and “Toy Story” series.
They were present in the film where they gathered around at a table to discuss how audiences on college campuses are too easily offended now. This makes sense because now comedians are becoming more diverse and the majority of those are not just white men telling jokes now.