Meet BCSGA’s new 2021-22 officers

Bakersfield College Student Government Association (BCSGA) 2021-2022 President, Edith Mata.

photo courtesy of Nicky Damania

Teresa Balmori Perez, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Student Government Association (BCSGA) announced their new officers for the 2021-2022 academic year on March 25.
“I am extremely excited to work with our new BCSGA Officers. In order to ensure students’ have a voice in all measures of the campus operations, it is like these dedicated and passionate student leaders who will make BC a great institution. I encourage other students to follow their peers’ example, and join your student government,” said Director of Student Life and BCSGA Advisor, Nicky Damania.
The new officers shared their priorities and thoughts regarding their new position as BCSGA officers.
Edith Mata, a junior at BC, is the BCSGA’s president. Mata has been a student at BC since 2018. She is currently pursuing an associate degree in business administration. Mata explained her favorite thing about being a BC student is her community, being involved in school, and having the opportunity to get her associate’s degree. After BC, she plans to transfer to California State University Bakersfield (CSUB) to further her education.
According to Mata, the reason why she ran was because of representation and she was motivated by her team. “I would bring representation as a person of color, as a woman, and as a mom,” Mata stated. “ I think representation is important because when I see myself reflected as a leader, it sends a message to me that I’m able to accomplish anything I aspire.” Mata then went on to explain that she would also want to create more programs for underserved communities such as students of color so they can feel supported and accepted at BC. Mata explained that her three priorities as president would be to bring more resources to students and equity and to create more programs to help underserved students.
Amanda Amos, a sophomore at BC, is the new BCSGA Vice President. Amos has been a student since 2019. She is currently studying nursing. According to Amos, some of the few things that she loves about being a student are getting to meet all the students and getting to know the staff. Amos plans to transfer to a UC that is very hands-on training after BC.
According to Amos the reason why she ran for vice-president was because she wants to make a difference in her campus and to serve the community. “I feel like what I can bring to the table is just my dedication,” Amos stated. She also hopes to bring diversity and understatement to what it’s like to be a student. Some of the issues that Amos feels that should be discussed on campus are how COVID-19 is affecting the student body, Students life after the pandemic, and the mental health of others. “Also, our student involvement is very low, so, I feel like getting our students more involved on campus and being able to speak on things that they believe in are important,” Amos added. According to Amos her three priorities as vice president would be more student involvement, more communication between students, and making sure that all students are represented.
Adam Moreno is a BC student who is the new BCSGA Senator 02. He is studying phycology. Some of the things that he enjoys about being a student is being able to communicate/getting to know other students and professors. After BC, Moreno plans to transfer to CSUB or the University of Nevada Las Vegas ( UNLV) to be closer to family.
Moreno explained that the reason why ran for the senate was because he believes in the future of the community and wants to be involved in building something that matters.
According to Moreno, one of the issues that he believes should be addressed is racism and social injustice. “We turn on the news or we go on Twitter and we learn about something terrible that’s happened, and we’re reminded of the reality of racism and social injustices everywhere,” Moreno said. His three priorities would be culture, safety, and social justice for students. “Safety and social justice go hand and hand because when we work hard to set a new standard for justice, students will feel safer.”
Jordan Amey is a freshman at BC and is the new BCSGA Senator 02. He is a phycology major. According to Amey some of the things he enjoys about BC are the extracurricular and resources that are provided and he also enjoys the staff. Amey plans to transfer to the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and possibly go to grad school to further his studies into becoming a phycologist.
Amey stated that one of the issues that should be addressed are the problems surrounding the lack of student engagement and students’ wellbeing.
“Although I’ve only been at BC for less than a year, I find that there’s no engagement from the student body, primarily within BC’s clubs and associations,” Amey stated.
As for the well-being of other students, he feels that it’s hard to exactly know how students are dealing with the pandemic because of the campus being closed but he hopes that there is a way to create more services for students. According to Amey his three priorities as senator would be to have communication within the student body, to work with other members of the BCSGA in order to come up with more fundings, and to create more student services.