The BMofA hosts the first night of their “Art After Dark” series this year

Hugo Maldonado Garcia, Editor in Chief

The Bakersfield Museum of Art hosted their 7th annual “Art After Dark” series on Jan. 27 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The “Art After Dark” event welcomed guests with live music performances, a Tiki-Ko bar and highlighting some of the artwork from local community members. General admission was $5 or free for BMofA members and current students with a valid school ID.
“Art After Dark” highlighted the work of many artists and inspired by the Joan and Jack Quinn Family Collection which was titled “On the Edge” and inspired by Los Angeles from the 1970s to the 1990s.
Upon entering the event the museum required the attendees to wear a face mask inside of the building for safety precautions.
Born and raised in Bakersfield Ca. Greg Colson obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts from California State University, Bakersfield. He was a featured artist at “Art After Dark” one of his pieces on display in the museum right now is a 24 by 19 piece constructed out of enamel, crayon, pencil and ink titled “Joan Agajanian Quinn Pie Chart Portrait” from 2013. His work is also currently displayed at the Portland Art Museum, Portland OR. Another featured artist was Connor Tingley with a piece titled “Art for Joan” from 2021.
The museum was also offering a classroom lesson for anyone who wanted to learn how to use alcohol ink and create their own artwork during the event.
The Bakersfield Museum of Art is set to host three additional “Art After Dark” in 2022
with the current schedule set for May 26,

“Mr. Barry of the Nelsons is Here, 1980” oil on canvas by artist Carlos Almaraz.
“Mr. Barry of the Nelsons is Here, 1980” oil on canvas by artist Carlos
Almaraz. (Hugo Maldonado Garcia)
“Art for Joan, 2021” charcoal on canvas by Connor Tingley photographed on Jan. 27. (Hugo Maldonado Garcia)
“Portrait of Joan, 2021” mixed media on canvas by Rebeca Moses
photographed on Jan. 27. (Hugo Maldonado Garcia)
The Bakersfi eld Museum of Art hosted “Art After Dark” on Jan. 27 from
7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Hugo Maldonado Garcia)

June 20, and Aug. 25.