Bakersfield College hosts Journalism Day

Nadeen Maniord, Reporter

Bakersfield College had hosted an annual Journalism Day event all about teaching high school students in depth journalism tactics on Feb. 24. Students from all over the Kern High School districts would attend and gain several awards dedicated to specific sections. Students in a journalism class within their high school and wish to pursue it, would have an opportunity to learn more about News, Sports, Public Relations, etc from seasoned professionals. Different rooms at Bakersfield College would be for specific aspects of journalism like breaking news, sports, photography, broadcast, and public relations.

Journalism Day 2- The Journalism Day guests/professionals huddling up for a annual Journalism Day photo for 2023 (Nadeen Maniord)

These professionals would share advice, tell stories, and even present awards for the students’ very own pieces of work in the Forum.

The Bakersfield Californian would be the ones to judge who got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and honorable mentions. The Californian would give students advice in return after judging, that way students would learn from their mistakes.

Head Coordinator from Ridgeview High School, Kristen Hunter, would be the one to organize this big event for journalism students. Journalism Day was an opportunity for students to network with companies that were there like 23ABC.

High School dedicated Journalism students would have the opportunity to get their foot in the door. An exciting opportunity for anyone interested in the journalism field.

The award system occurred at the end of the ceremony, at the end. Making students feel even more like journalists in a professional work environment. It was exciting for everyone involved, and students from schools like Centennial, look forward to next year’s event.