Sterling Silver Dinner helps raise money for the scholarship program

Alexis Pedroza

Courtney Carter engages guests in conversation as they get in their seats.

Alexis Pedroza, Reporter

Alexis Pedroza
Guest enjoy the reception with hors d’oeuvres at the library.
Alexis Pedroza
The BC renegade band plays for guests as they enter the dining area.
Alexis Pedroza
Guests settle in their tables as they wait for their food to be served.

The 10th annual Sterling Silver Benefit Dinner took place at Bakersfield College on Feb. 24 to help raise money for the scholarship program at the school.

The event started at 6:30 p.m. and ended at 8 p.m. and was hosted by the Bakersfield College Foundation.

Guests arrived at the Grace Van Dyke Bird Library for the reception with hors d’oeuvres, and Tom Gelder, executive director, as well as Courtney Carter, executive secretary of the foundation, greeted them.

Guest were able mingle with colleagues and enjoy fine art that local high school students created and music as they waited for the dinner to proceed.

“It’s exciting to see a big group of people support the program,” Courtney Carter said. This is Carter’s second time helping coordinate the event and says it’s “worth it”.

Tom Gelder mentioned that they were expecting over “200 people in attendance” at the dinner and that this was his fourth time being a part of the event.

This year the benefit dinner honored Marko B. and Theo Zaninovich as their individual Philanthropists of the Year.

The Bakersfield College Foundation also awarded Kenneth M. Byrum with their first ever BC Foundation Service for his association with Bakersfield College since 1958.

The dinner was held in a tented dining area in front of the library were guests enjoyed food prepared by local chiefs.

Guests were also treated to a performance by the renegade band as they made their way into the dining area.

The benefit dinner provided many with a great evening and all for a good cause that gives back to Bakersfield College students.