BC campus taking precautions against the Coronavirus

Jocelyn Sandusky, Features Editor

As concern over the inevitable entry and growth of the coronavirus in the United States grows, Bakersfield College has implemented a system to help maintain a clean and healthy campus and has created a webpage where students can find information on preventative measures.

There are currently not any plans to cancel classes unless the Kern County Department of Public Health and the California Department of Public Health suggest a closure or suspension. There have been 43 confirmed cases in the United States, but no one from Kern County has been affected, according to Bakersfield College.

To decrease the risk of spreading illness around campus, BC will sanitize all exterior and suite entrance door handles and all bathroom fixtures, water taps, etc., several times a day. The administration has also ordered hand sanitizer dispensers and wipes to place around campus.The campus will also routinely refill bathroom soap and hand sanitizer dispensers.

Additionally, “Student Health and Wellness Center staff were briefed with updated instructions and proper strategies for educating students,” according to the student health and wellness center webpage.

BC is also posting informational posters designed by Kern County Public Health around the campus, and sending out email updates to the campus community regarding the coronavirus and precautionary measures, according to the student health and wellness center webpage.

If students experience symptoms such as fever, headache, cough, runny nose, sore throat or a general feeling of being unwell, they are encouraged to stay home until the symptoms have gone away for at least 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication.

According to BC’s dedicated coronavirus webpage, students should do the following to protect themselves from getting sick, “Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Stay home when you are sick. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using regular household cleaning spray or wipe. The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wearing a face mask to protect themselves. Wearing masks gives a false sense of security.”

Although the virus is rapidly spreading, the risk of contracting the virus is very low if you haven’t been to Wuhan, China, or been around someone who has been, or is currently ill. There are no confirmed cases in Bakersfield, but several people are being tested.

There is no treatment for coronavirus, but people usually recover from it on their own.