“American Vandal” keeps momentum in new season

Ruben Lira, Reporter

“American Vandal” has released an amazing second season on Netflix. The show is a mockumentary series created by Dan Perrault and Tony Yacenda. It is a parody of true crime documentaries such as “Making a Murderer” and “Serial.”

The season starts after the events of the second season in which two students Peter (Tyler Alvarez) and Sam (Griffin Gluck) helped a student who was falsely accused of committing graffiti crime.

The boys decide to take a case at a private Catholic school named St. Bernadine, in which an outcasted student Kevin McClain (Travis Trope) was expelled and put on house arrest for a crime he did not commit. The alleged crime was that Kevin had been pulling pranks all over school involving poop. One crime was the contamination of the school’s lemonade with laxatives, causing students to defecate themselves, in the halls and elsewhere as the bathrooms were full. The whole event was recorded and tagged on Instagram by someone referring to themselves as “The Turd Burglar.” The event itself was being called the “brown out.” There was a total of three poop-related crimes committed.

Google Images
An “American Vandal” season two promotional image.

Each time an incident would occur, the turd burglar would post on Instagram and tag those who were involved. Additionally, the criminal left his calling card which is a poop emoji with a mask. The Turd Burglar also posted his crimes online leaving clues as to what was going to happen as well as when.

Kevin was the primary suspect because his ex-best friend told authorities that Kevin was the one who contaminated the lemonade. When Kevin was interrogated for hours he admits to the crime just to end the investigation.

The whole show is amazing for what it is. Even though it’s a parody, each episode is well thought-out. The crimes also fit the title of the show as it’s not about murders or true crimes, but pranks that have gone horribly wrong.  Each episode will have you at the edge of your seat and wanting the answers to the crimes that were committed.