Women’s basketball starts 5-0

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women’s basketball starts 5-0

Elias C. Ahumada

Elias C. Ahumada

Elias C. Ahumada

Alyssa Garcia (4) goes for a steal against Taft.

Monique Hansen-Garcia, Reporter

Bakersfield College women’s basketball team claimed a 77-44 victory over Taft College at home on Nov. 22 in the Gil Bishop Sports Center.

BC beat Taft for the second time this season and kept its five-game winning streak alive.

“I’m really pleased by what we have done so far, our conference is going to be so much more competitive than our schedule right now,” said head coach Paula Dahl.

The team hasn’t gone undefeated in over a decade, and this is the best start to a season that Dahl has had since coaching at BC.

“I love being undefeated, I love the fact that we are undefeated, we haven’t had this type of start for a long time,” said the coach, “The reality is that we got a lot of work to do, I’m not letting up at all. If you saw our practice yesterday, you would have thought we were 0-5.”

The team, once again, reached into the depth of its bench, with Alyssa Garcia having a 20-point game from the reserves. Garcia’s point total was a personal high and a team-high in the game.

“We really wanted to see her come back from being sick,” Dahl said of Garcia, “One of my favorite moments was when a [Taft] kid was bullying her, and she just drilled a three right in her face, it was unbelievable. Just to see the team’s excitement, it was really fun.”

Garcia went 4-for-5 on three-pointers and 4-for-4 from the free-throw line.

“Our teamwork is really showing in our defense. Against [this team] we hadn’t scored in 11:29, but [Taft] only had six points. Our defense completely locked them down, to only 15 points in the first half. We made so much happen because of our defense,” said Dahl.

Nakiah Page scored 18 points and had seven rebounds, five steals and two blocks.

“Points are points, we still need to get more rebounds out of Nakiah, she should be scoring, but it has to be the complete game and the complete development of the game, and that’s one of the things we are working with all of our players,” Dahl said of Page and what player’s points mean to her.

At 6-feet tall, Page has been dominating her opponents. With true power she exhibits charisma as the team’s forward, “We have been really working with Nakiah to face up in the second half,” Dahl said. “She did, and that’s when her points started coming. Nakiah is wonderful to have on the team, we will just keep working on her total game for stats in all the categories.”

McKaiela Tyler contributed with nine points, a team-leading eight rebounds, and played a tough defensive game.

“We are one of the top in the state for steals, I think we are ranked third, third for blocked shots, fifth for points that we hold people down to, fifth for low shooting percentages,” said Dahl in appreciation of all the hard work that the players are exhibiting in defense as well as making offensive strides.

Alex Green had her highest scoring game of the season, going off for eight points. Green also chipped in seven rebounds, five steals, and two blocks.

When asked how she felt about the outstanding game her reserves are playing, Dahl said, “You are only as strong as your weakest player, and the fact that we can be so competitive in practice is what makes us competitive in games. This is the first time I have been able to have each player play in every game.”

BC will travel to Santa Ana to compete in the Santa Ana Tournament, with the times to be announced, on the weekend of Dec. 4-6. On Dec. 18, the Renegades will head back to BC to play Santa Ana in the BC gym, the Gil Bishop Sports Center at 6 p.m.

The team will travel to El Cajon to play Grossmont on the last weekend of the year, Dec. 28- Dec. 30. The times of the weekend tournament are still to be posted, and are determined by the wins of the first day.

Starting the 2015-year, BC will host L.A.Valley, in the BC gym, Jan. 7 at 7 p.m.

The 2015 Schedule for the BC Women’s Basketball Team

Jan 07 7:00p.m. LA Valley Location: Gil Bishop Sports Center           

Jan 10 5:00 p.m. West Los Angeles Location: Culver City

Jan 14 7:00p.m. Citrus College Location: Glendora

Jan 17 5:00pm Santa Monica Location: Gil Bishop Sports Center           

Jan 21 7:00pm            Glendale Location: Gil Bishop Sports Center

Jan 24 5:00PM College of the Canyons Location: Santa Clarita

Jan 28 7:00pm Antelope Valley Location: Lancaster

Jan 31 5:00pm LA Valley Location: Van Nuys

Feb 04 7:00pm West LA Coaches Vs. Cancer Week Location: Gil Bishop Sports Center           

Feb 07 5:00pm Citrus College Coaches vs. Cancer Week Location: Gil Bishop Gymnasium – Bakersfield College           

Feb 12 7:00pm Santa Monica Location: Santa Monica

Feb 14 5:00pm Glendale Location: Glendale

Feb 18 7:00pm College of the Canyons Location: Gil Bishop Sports Center           

Feb 21 5:00pm Antelope Valley Sophomore Night Location: Gil Bishop Gymnasium – Bakersfield College           

Feb 25 TBA            First Round of Playoffs Location: TBA

Feb 27 – Feb 28 TBA            Second Round of Playoffs Location: TBA

Mar 01 TBA            Third Round of Playoffs Location: TBA

Mar 04 TBA Regional Finals Location: TBA

Mar 11 – Mar 12 TBA            Final Four Location: Cerritos College