BC Men’s Tennis wins three double matches against Reedley College Tigers

Alexis Pedroza

BC player Alec Slykerman waits readily for opponent to serve

Alexis Pedroza, Reporter

During the Bakersfield College Men’s Tennis double match on Jan. 26, the BC Renegades pulled off an impressive victory.

Alexis Pedroza
Manrico Cabaloza,18 swings a clean hit in intense match

The sky was blue with some beautiful clouds and a bright sun that reflected on the players faces, which showed their BC Renegades spirit to be more determined in winning their games.

The intense tennis match began at 1p.m. with three pairs of games going on simultaneously. Freshman players Manrico Cabaloza,18, and Kaleb Johnson, 19, teamed up and won their match game in less than 30 minutes, with a total score of BC 8 and Reedley 1.

The next players to win their games were teammates Alex and Conrad with a score of BC 8 and Reedley 2. After both double matches finished in victory, the tennis team gathered to watch the last match that was played by teammates Mario Cabaloza and Nayib Rivera. Spectators and teammates cheered them on as they won their match with a score of BC 5 and Reedley 5. Thus making it a total victory for the BC men’s tennis team in their double matches. Manrico Cabaloza, who’s playing tennis at BC for the first time, described how to prepare for a game. “Eat well, and get a lot of sleep,” Cabaloza said.

Though he has had much experience after playing for 5 years, he looks forward to being an asset to the team.

Johnson also brings experience to the team him with a total of 14 years of playing tennis. Johnson described his teammates as being “real cool” and the importance of teamwork. Among these athletes was Chun Ul, 26, who was BC’s number one tennis player last year. Though Ul no longer plays for the team he enjoys coming to the games and supporting them.