Men’s Basketball loses their two last home final conference games

Hilario Ismael Gomez, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Men’s Basketball continued Western State Conference with their final two home games that were devastating losses to the LA Pierce College (13-13, 1-5), and West LA College (20-7. 6-1) at the Gil Bishop Sports Center on Feb 13 and Feb 16.

With BC coming into these games at 15-9 overall continuing conference play with two brutal losses against LA Pierce and West LA puts quite a damper to what has been a strong season for the Gades.

The losses against these two teams came in quite a sudden fashion with a second-half collapse against LA Pierce and then a comeback that came up short against West LA. The team played rather amazingly in certain halves of these games but were troubled with finishing out the game and slow starts.

The games for the majority were evenly matched with extremely close scores in the ends of the contests albeit rather huge deficits at the halves. Shahadah Camp, the sophomore guard from Grand Rapids, Michigan led BC with 31 points in the nail-biting loss against the LA Pierce Bulls. While Anieus Medrano the sophomore guard from Liberty led BC with 29 points in the loss to West LA on Saturday.

In the LA Pierce loss, the Gades came out and controlled the first half, holding a solid lead through halftime at 51-38.

Yet LA Pierce opened the second half guns blazing, cutting the BC lead with 1:15 left. They took their first lead moments later and winning the game after an exchange of fouls and foul shots.

While the loss to West LA was a valiant effort in the last home appearance for multiple sophomores such as Anieus Medrano Marcus Jones Kobe Garner Shahadah Camp and Jeffrey Lee.

With West LA taking a lead of 46-22 at half the Renegades took their turn at coming out hot during the second half bringing the game within two with less than a minute left but ultimately coming up short due to a few choice foul calls to close out the contest.

With the losses, the Renegades drop to 15-11 overall and 3-4 in Western State Conference South Division play.

Hilario Ismael Gomez
Marcus Jones (3), dribbling down court during the LA Pierce game.
Hilario Ismael Gomez
Quentin Pettiford (22) defending an inbound pass from LA Pierce.
Hilario Ismael Gomez
Pregame warmup by the BC Renegades.