BC football team stuffers loss on homecoming night

The Bakersfield College football team celebrating Shane Jonas’s 33-yard touchdown in the second quarter during homecoming night at Memorial Stadium, Oct. 19. The Renegades dropped their conference opener to the Ventura College Pirates, 29-21.

Haley Duval, Senior Photo Editor

The Bakersfield College football team dropped their conference opener to the Ventura College Pirates, 29-21, on homecoming night at Memorial Stadium, on Oct. 19.

BC’s running back Isaiah Martin was the first to put the Renegades on board with BC’s first touchdown of the game in the second quarter, cutting the Pirates’ lead to 16-7.

BC added another seven points during the second by running back Shane Jones’s 33-yard touchdown.

During the first half, BC trailed 19-14.

In the third quarter, the Pirates made a touchdown to add their lead to 26-14.

Although the Renegade’s made a touchdown passed by Jones from 26 yards to wide receiver Cole Beaty in the fourth quarter, BC failed for a comeback win.

After this loss, BC is 2-4 overall and 0-1 in conference games.

In the half time show, BC crowed BC student Sharon Gilbert, 44, as homecoming queen.

“I wanted to teach my kids that it doesn’t matter how old you are, continue to do things you want to do. So, I wanted to be that inspiration. It’s never too late,” Gilbert said.

After the homecoming game audience, staff, and both football teams stayed in the stadium to watch the fireworks BC presented.