Women’s basketball eliminated after losing second round playoff game against Long Beach

Justin White, Sports Editor

Bakersfield College women’s basketball was eliminated from the playoffs due to their second round loss against Long Beach on March 3rd.

After taking lead 15-14 into the 2nd quarter, BC was outscored 22-13 to head into the half down 36-28. This 8-point deficit remained at the end of the 3rd quarter as the score was 52-44 heading into what proved to be the final quarter of the women’s basketball season.

The Renegades did not go quietly into the night. After allowing the deficit to be increased to 14 points, the Renegades came storming back to make things interesting.

BC was able to cut the deficit to just 2 points with about a minute left, thanks to the efforts of numerous players, namely guard Brianna Green’s team leading 14 points. Green was also the highest efficiency shooter for the Gades, going 6-11 on field goals and 2-5 from 3-point land. Forward Kathleen Rodriguez and point guard Angie Gonzalez also contributed 9 and 8 points respectively. 

Ultimately, the surge was not enough as BC would eventually give up 8 points in this final minute, including those granted by intentional fouls, to lose the game 69-59, ending their season.

Guard Jenna Sampley would put up the most points off the bench with 7 in 17 minutes of action. Rodriquez was also the rebound leader for the Gades with 11, and Gonzalez led her team in assists with 7.

After a heartbreaking loss to end it, head coach Paula Dahl and the Renegades women’s basketball team’s freshmen will look to build off of a solid 19-7 season and come back in the 2022-23 season looking to make a deeper playoff run.