Renegades drop games 2 and 3, eliminated from playoffs

Justin White, Sports Editor

Renegades softball lost games 2 and 3 on May 14, eliminating them from the playoffs.

Game 2 got ugly quickly, as the Renegades went down 3-0 in the second and then 5-0 in the 4th, before finally putting up 4 runs in the 5th to bring it close once more. Mt. SAC scored another run in the 6th before closing it out to defeat BC 6-4.

The decisive game 3 took place a short 20 minutes later, and Mt. SAC quickly took a lead once again going up 2-0 by the third inning. BC got on the scoreboard with a RBI single by catcher Destiny Cuellar to drive in third baseman Marissa Campos. A 2-run home run by Mt. SAC in the 5th gave them a 4-1 lead heading into the game’s final innings. 

With the season on the line in the bottom of the 7th, the game looked bleak as pitcher Talia Nielsen began the inning by flying out to left field. A single by centerfielder Kylie Havens breathed life into the BC lineup, but she was later thrown out at second due to a fielder’s choice that allowed shortstop Shelbie Valencia to reach base. 

With two outs, second baseman Rylee Price singled, advancing Valencia to second, bringing the tying run to the plate in designated player Kady Smith.

After Smith went down 0-2 in the count, she grounded out to shortstop to end the game, and a fantastic season where it seemed BC has cruised by every opponent they’ve faced has come to a screeching halt in the town of Walnut, California. 

The 2022 Renegades softball team posted the best record in team history at 37-9. 

Numerous individual awards were earned, with Coach Casey Goodman being named WSC coach of the year and notching her 100th career win, Talia Nielsen being named pitcher of the year as well as breaking the Renegades single-season strikeout record, and Kady Smith, Kylie Havens, Rylee Price and Destiny Cuellar each earning first team All-Conference honors. 

On top of those distinctions, Shelby Buchanan, Shelbie Valencia, and Marissa Campos earned second team All-Conference honors, and Anika Romo and Kristen Burgeis were honorable mentions, creating a roster packed with WSC honorees. 

After a crushing finish, Goodman and the Renegades will look to move beyond losing their four star sophomores and make a deeper playoff run in the 2023 season.