SiriusXM to bring new services to students

David Portillo, Reporter

Attention all students. SiriusXM has announced a new package and subscription just for college students. The subscription is called the “Student Premier” package and it gives all college students the same content within SiriusXM’s “Premier Streaming” package but discounts the price by 69 percent. So instead of paying $12.99 per month, the price would drop to a low $4 per month. The student pack lets users listen to Sirius in their car, smartphones, tablets, and most devices that can connect to the internet.

The package was announced on Aug. 21, 2019. Since then, the service has seen an influx of students purchasing the deal. SiriusXM realized that “students who grew up listening to the streaming service in their parent’s car are now older and now have a package built just for them,” as stated by Matt Epstein the Vice President of SiriusXM.

As stated before, the student package gives subscribers all the content that the premium package gives, but also offers 200 plus commercial-free music channels of virtually every genre, featuring a huge selection of talk channels, stand up comedy performances, news, and much more. The streaming service is made up of personalized stations powered by Pandora, Xtra channels, SiriusXM Video, and more.
Subscribers have numerous ways to connect to the service. Listening in the car is still one primary source to tune in to SiriusXM, but now it can be listened from most devices at home or on the go. Such devices include smartphones, tablets, computers, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, smart TVs, Sonos Speakers, Xbox, and Sony PlayStation.
SiriusXM has never been as personalized as it is today, and those praises can go to the SiriusXM app and web player. It offers subscribers personalized music stations based on the artist or song they are listening to, or by searching for their favorite artists or bands. In the service, listeners can then decide whether they enjoy that song or artist by having the option to thumbs up or thumbs down or skip songs to create a more personal channel based on what they listen to. Also, in addition to music, the student package includes a wide range of entertainment, sports, news, and comedy programs that many subscribers can enjoy.  Some examples include ESPNU Radio, Kevin Harts Laugh Out Loud Channel, CNN, and FOX.