Garden Fest Returns after four long years

Amanda Hernandez, Sports and Digital Editor

Visitors shopping around as Garden Fest returns after four years. (photo courtesy of Melissa Farrand)

Bakersfield College hosted the annual Garden Fest event on Saturday April 15 on the southeast side of the main campus.

The event was open to both Bakersfield College students and the public with free admission and parking.

The purpose of this event was to inform individuals about the importance of health and wellness while also giving knowledge on plant and soil care.

Garden Fest hasn’t been hosted since 2019 and the return of it had a large turnout where many had the opportunity to socialize. 

All types of people from different ages, genders, and groups gathered together to bring back a sense of community which has been a challenge following the COVID pandemic. 

The event hosted over 150 vendors selling home goods, pet gifts, fruits, veggies, outdoor necessities, plants and more.

Bakersfield College had a few different booths from different organizations including the Science and Agriculture club, the Criminology club, the ASL table and the Culinary team. 

During the event, The city of Bakersfield recreation offered visitors a chance to ask questions about plant care to get answers on specific plants they own.

Bakersfield College culinary team poses at Garden Fest. (photo courtesy of Melissa Ferrand)

There were also many opportunities to win giveaways, eat, purchase items, get in community and learn more about the wellness of both ourselves and the plants we consume. 

Visitors had much to say about the return of this event.

Gonzalo Chavez, who resides in Bakersfield, CA says “ I found out about the event through Facebook and I figured this was something healthy to do after my haircut appointment. I was happy to see the large turnout and I was reminded of the Renegade culinary team from the time that I used to attend Bakersfield College.”

Many hope that this will continue to be an annual event as the world continues to implement social events again.

To find more Bakersfield College events, you can visit the website at https://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/calendar/.