New Hellboy movie is more accurate but ultimately disappointing

Bryana Lozoya, Digital Editor

GOOGLE IMAGES

The 2019 movie “Hellboy” is based on the Dark Horse comic book character of the same name created by Mike Mignola.

It is a reboot of the  “Hellboy” film series that were released in the early 2000s directed by Guillermo Del Toro, and it draws inspiration from the comic books “Darkness Calls”, “The Wild Hunt”, and “The Storm and the Fury”. 

Neil Marshall directed the new movie, and Andrew Cosby, along with Mignola, is the screenplay writers.

“Hellboy” is a mixed bag of humor and horror and the overall visual effects in the movie were phenomenal.

Although this movie had comedy incorporated, the appearance of the monsters was absolutely terrifying, and all the killing made the movie lean more toward gore and horror.

Which is all fine and dandy for people who can stomach the gore, plus it worked with the darker tone the comic has. 

The makeup and costume for Hellboy was incredible, it was considerably different and unique from the earlier version of Hellboy yet it held the essence of the character.

David Harbour, who plays Hellboy, was funny and did an incredible job embodying the character he played while also making his performance unique.

Ian McShane did a good job as Professor Broom, although I wish there had been more scenes that included his character.

The movie did a good job of describing Hellboy’s backstory about where he came from and how, though I wish they did more on depicting the history of Broom’s relationship with Hellboy.

It seemed that McShane’s character was thrown in there just because he’s a pivotal character in the comic but the way the movie was written and played out made it seem that he didn’t hold much substance.

I’ll admit that his character played a more prominent role near the end of the movie, but not by much. 

I felt the movie gave a crappy summary of the conflict, which in a nutshell was about the comeback and the revenge of the Blood Queen Nimue (Milla Jovovich).

The action and drama went by so fast it felt like it gave the bare minimum, but the backstory of Nimue and the reason for the conflict was pretty fleshed out.

The movie was two hours and perhaps that contributed to why the storyline was so poor, the movie could have done without certain scenes and worked on others to make the plot better. Despite the lousy storyline in the movie, the quality of the acting was great, Harbour and McShane gave a unique take of their characters, and the movie did a great job with incorporating what happens in the “Hellboy” comics.