Netflix’s “Never Have I Ever” is Binge worthy

Adeli Arvizu, Reporter

Netflix launched a new coming of age show, “Never Have I Ever,” that was released on April 27 created by actress Mindy Kaling that was hilarious and delightful. Kaling has also created and starred in Fox’s “The Mindy Project,” as well as several other comedy shows.

“Never Have I Ever” gave viewers a look into the life of a 16-year-old Indian American girl named Devi Vishwakumar, played by Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, who is a sophomore in high school. The death of Vishwakumar’s father triggered temporary paralysis of both her legs disabling her ability to walk. However, Vishwakumar made a miraculous recovery while attempting to look at her high school crush Paxton Hall Yoshida, played by Darren Barnet.

At the start of her new sophomore year, Vishwakumar was convinced she and her two best friends needed a new image and to finally get boyfriends. 

Vishwakumar’s go-getter mentality and self-absorbed personality led her to fall deeper into her infatuation with Paxton. This slowly created a strain in her relationship with her friends and family, but also challenged her mental state and how she felt about her father’s death. Vishwakumar also questioned her cultural identity while having dealt with opposing views from a cultural and religious stance to those who don’t emphasize it.

The show’s storyline was well written. Although the acting in Netflix’s shows aren’t usually the best, “Never Have I Ever” possessed many talented actors. Each character was funny and charming. Although it was the same cliché depiction of high school, it managed to add its own style.