Chasing dreams: Playing pro

Hilario Ismael Gomez, Reporter

As unrealistic as it may seem, it’s every young athlete’s dream to go pro and play in front of millions of fans with bright lights and the roar of the crowd driving them relentlessly.

Any athlete would pounce at the chance to make millions playing any sport and a highly regarded draft pick with the future face of a franchise. Imagine being a bonafide star from the first step you take on a professional field.

Now, imagine the same dream scenario multiplied.

Fantasize about being chased as a top prospect in two professional sports and being such a dominant force at your crafts that you’re regarded as the best college athlete in two different sports. Imagine being crowned as the most electrifying player in college football by your peers while also becoming a multimillionaire at 21 because of a contract you signed with one of the most historic baseball franchises to ever exist but having to choose between the two.

Chasing one dream while discarding the other leaves whispers of regret no matter what you choose. You’ve just dreamt up the life of Kyler Murray, Heisman winning Oklahoma Sooners Quarterback and Oakland A’s Outfielder.

Murray, the Texas High School football legend, was never destined to become the two-sport prospect he is now. Standing at a generous 5’10 195 pounds according to the official Oklahoma Sooners website he never brought out the imposing presence of an NFL Quarterback that most people expect and after washing out at Texas A&M on the gridiron, baseball became his only option.

Given his natural ability and the lack of size quotas on baseball it seemed like almost a done deal. Being the 9th overall pick in the 2018 MLB draft by the Oakland A’s and legendary manager Brandon Beane might help as well.

Yet a will and a wish forced his football renaissance into existence after a transfer to Norman. His stunning Heisman trophy season that followed where he carried the worst defense statistically to ever reach the College Football Playoffs to a 12-2 record blurred up the predestined route he was boxed into however and entering the NFL Draft and announcing it to the world via Twitter continues to do so.

With all signs pointing to Murray favoring the pigskin over a mitt, analysts from both sports are weighing in on the ramifications of his decisions. Most disapproving because of financial discrepancies between the two sports and predicting a small shelf life due to injuries due to the nature of playing Quarterback at such a small stature.

The utter lack of success of Quarterbacks under 5’11 and especially those without long term success such as Murray only furthers their points. Betting on a “hail mary” of an NFL career while average MLB players in the twilights of their career such as Andrew McCutchen who is coming of his worst years as a pro can get $50 million over 3 years.

Dwarfing arguably the most dominant wide receiver of all time and the record holder for single-season receiving yards Calvin “Megatron” Johnson’s estimated $85 million in earnings over his entire illustrious career.

With all that said, Murray has had his eyes set on football and the ways in which he lights up when he dominates the gridiron really only leaves one option.

Generational talents such as Doug Flutie and Russell Wilson would’ve never become the pocket-sized legends of the sport without chasing their passion over the safe choice.

Both sat in the same spot that Murray stands in today albeit maybe not on such as a high pedestal and both defied the given standards and the odds. Murray has a choice to make and no matter which decision he comes to he’ll be a star and a multi-millionaire so why shouldn’t he chase his passion.

Why not make the decisions that make him the happiest no matter what the opinion of others may be? Why not put the man they call “K1” first for once?